Not only the exhibitions of the Money museum are rich, but so too is the history of the building where the museum is located.
The building that houses the Money Museum (Totorių g. 2/8) is even older than the main building of the Bank of Lithuania (Gedimino pr. 6). In August 1874, the Vilnius province construction division issued a permit to Tadas Koszczyc, a second-class merchant guilds-man, to build a two-story stone building at the intersection of Totorių street and Georgijaus (Gedimino) avenue. On the trapezoid-shaped plot of land a two-story home, in a T-shaped plan, was built. In July 1875 T. Koszczyc was given a permit to increase the height of this house: to build it with three stories. The newly bricked house was enclosed on three sides by a wooden fence with masonry steps. In 1899, in the place of the former outbuilding, next to the house at Totorių street a three-story building was erected, with entrance gates and at the corners of both projections, bay windows — balconies —supported by columns. This is how the façade, very unusual for the architecture of Vilnius of the historicism period, was formed.
At the turn of the 19th–20th c., intense work was done here. The balconies, walls and even the attic cornice of the house, painted in rather intense brownish colours, were hung all over with different kinds of advertisements announcing the restaurant that opened there, a rolls and bagels shop, an oculist’s office, lawyer’s office.
After World War II, the house was nationalised. In 1960 the building housed the extramural division of the State Pedagogical Institute. Later, the first and second stories of this house were occupied by the Labour Security Inspectorate of the Lithuanian SSR Ministry of Social Security and the third — by a branch of the USSR International Bank of Economy. Until 2006 the corner of the first floor had a pharmacy. After Lithuania’s independence was restored, the house became part of the Bank of Lithuania. For a time the bank only occupied the third floor of this building; here the International relations department was located. The other premises were used by the Republican Centre for the Population Employment, Retraining and Professional Orientation (Labour Exchange). After the pharmacy and Labour Exchange moved out, the house was restored, the historical façades were recreated.
A new Bank of Lithuania museum exhibition was opened in 2010. The museum was founded on 25 June 1999 and its exhibits are held in the bank’s old vault. Once it moved to the new premises, the Bank of Lithuania museum was renamed the Money Museum.
Early 20th c.
Early 20th c. (the restaurant’s sign is visible)
Early 21st c. (a pharmacy operated in the building)
Early 21st c. (“Katėdros vaistinė” pharmacy)
The Money Museum today