In 2003 the museum of the Bank of Lithuania put on an exhibition dedicated to the history of the establishment of banks and credit institutions in Lithuania in iconography — projects, photographs and postcards. The exhibition displayed images of banks in Vilnius, Kaunas, Šiauliai, Panevėžys and other Lithuanian cities. The oldest photographs and postcards issued on their basis transfer us to the second half of the 19th c. Many bank projects were put on display for the first time. At the end of the 19th c., banks developed most intensively in Vilnius and Klaipėda. New buildings of banks were put up in the styles of historicism and modernism. The buildings of the Vilnius Land Bank, which were built in 1889–1891, are home to the Bank of Lithuania. After 1918, the architecture of Kaunas, as the political, economic and financial centre of the State of Lithuania, stands out. Circa the 1920s, the academic neoclassicism trend dominated the architecture. It was reflected in the buildings of the Bank of Lithuania (1928) and the Polish Small Credit Society (1933). Rationalism and functionalism became evident in the architecture in the 1930s: the buildings of the Land Bank were built in Kaunas in 1935 and of the Savings Banks in 1940. The buildings of the branch of the Polish Post’s Savings Banks in Vilnius, which was occupied by Poland, were erected in 1937 and of the branch of the Polish Area Economy Bank in 1938; they were designed in the styles of functionalism and constructivism.
A publication under the same name, prepared by the Head of the Museum, V. Laurinavičius, was presented together with this exhibition. The exhibition was open from 23 December 2003 to 30 September 2004 in the hall of the Bank of Lithuania (Gedimino pr. 6).